Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Stay of Execution



That's what this feels like. It was a grueling rehearsal last night and I couldn't figure out how to juggle a day's worth of oboe students, practice for tonight's rehearsal, and of course, the inevitable reedmaking. Then this!!! Wow, did the forecasters really miss this one. HA! There is a God. I know all of you up north are laughing your as#@s off, but have you ever tried to drive on ice with TEXANS? It isn't pretty. It is, however, funny...if you are not actually on the roadway. While I was in college in Colorado people would actually stay a safe distance from me when they saw my license plate. At least I hope it was my license and not my driving...hmmm....I will pretend it was my license plate. Anyway, rehearsal is cancelled as well as anything else fun. Looks like I got my reprieve.

So, Carrie...you think these are medieval instruments? Check these out!


These are my Ross gougers. The brass is a newer one and the aluminum is an older but better gouger. I use them to turn this



into this.



...well...eventually. Anonymous...does your brother still play? What a horrendous thing to happen. Ugh! I have had some accidents, but none so bad. I was once teaching a little 10 year old boy for the first time and I started making reeds right before he and his dad arrived. As they arrived I sliced through my thumb with my razor knife. I think I hit an artery and almost bled out before his lesson was over. Looked like a murder scene even with me trying to pretend it wasn't happening. I was shocked when he actually came back the next week....."Look little boy. Look what you have to look forward to for the rest of your life. That trumpet looks pretty good now, doesn't it?"

I am starting another Birch shawl since I gave my black one away. This one is a very light shade of pink and I am adding beads as I go. What do you think? I tried smaller, but it just didn't work for me.


12 Comments:

Blogger Thermalgal said...

Ooh a drawer full of gougers! Me, I'm just looking for a shaper. One day I'll be able to do a bit more than the initial scrape.

17/1/07 13:48  
Blogger Marina said...

Wow, you've got more than me! The storms have mostly missed us but it's darn cold here.

I need to get a book on how to knit with beads. I thought you had to string the beads on to the yarn first.

17/1/07 14:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! I forgot to identify myself yesterday...

Anyway, as far as I know, my brother quit playing after high school.

And driving on ICE is scary even for us northerners! Snow is no big deal, but ice? I'd stay home.

-SP

17/1/07 16:53  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Ooo, beads! I've never been able to figure out how to knit with those.

You know, that's about how much snow we have right about now, and we should have at least a foot!

(who's that playing the harp?)

18/1/07 07:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good friend of mine is a professional oboist. Every time I visit her and see her reedmaking setup, I'm simultaneously in awe of her skill and patience and grateful that I'm a horn player. One mouthpiece for life!

19/1/07 06:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU BIG SILLY! what are you doing? I almost called you thursday morning to scream SNOW DAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!! in your ear, but it wasnt a snow day for me, I had to go work in my frigid studio all day. boo. I'm glad you got a day off. I got a tube of hand made paint called Bohemian green earth. You need to look for some bohemian green earth sheep.. because it really is a magical color.

20/1/07 21:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah, and I love love love those hats down there and you look like nicole richie playing harp. h a ha hha ha hah ha ha ha h

ahhhhhh I still miss those days.

21/1/07 06:56  
Blogger vanessa said...

i love your birch with beads :-)
thanks for my sweater compliment!

23/1/07 04:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bead looks gorgeous on Birch.

So did it go well the other night? And yes, that looks much more medieval.

Drive in snow? On ice? I can barely drive in what we (and only we) call rain. Everyone else thinks it's a drizzle.

25/1/07 17:22  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Hi Sharon! Miss hearing from you! Hope you're doing well (and are "good" busy)!

28/1/07 04:19  
Blogger sillyewe said...

Awwww, I miss you guys, too!!! Soon to return, I promise. And it is an ok busy....not great..but at leats making a little income. ;0)

29/1/07 12:37  
Blogger Michelle said...

Looking forward to some updated photos of your projects :)

Oh, and I've tagged you for a meme (apparently - I have only a faint idea of what this means). Come visit my blog for the details when you have a few minutes. :)

31/1/07 18:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home