Saturday, September 09, 2006

Birch is done!


I finished Birch a couple of days ago after some fast and furious knitting. I am planning on wearing it this Saturday evening after the concert and I wanted to make certain it was done. Never mind the wrist pain....I think I better slow down a little before this week begins or I won't be ABLE to play! umm...naaaahhhh. I started Elizabeth I with my Hebridean driftwood. It is a very hard color to capture so you will have to take my word that it looks better in person. Much more lavender. The stich definition is great and in my opinion, it is plenty soft for next to skin wear. I had to go down to a 2.5 mm needle to get gauge....so this one may take a while. Also, Rhinegold and Season of Darkness and Winter Light are back in play. I will have some pics up soon of them.

****Warning****Non knitting content ahead.
Now for the oboists. I ordered several different staples last weekin order to compare them. I have taken some pics of the tubes and then the openings as well. I have used Glotin and Pisoni for a long time, but thought I would try the silver Pisoni Artist and Pro and the Glotin **, the regular Glotin and Loree gold. On observation, I find that the Glotin** is EXTREMELY thin walled. So much so it makes me nervous that I might bend it with pressure from tying on. It's that thin, really! Have a look. You may have to click on it to enlarge it. The Pisoni openings look very close except for the scoring.The Loree tube is just superior in craftsmanship no doubt. It is very narrow at the opening, however, so it remains to be seen how it will perform. I ordered several more Lorees after my first run because I liked certain aspects of the staple, but I am not sure if that was a fluke, or it is really the staple giving me these qualities. I have blocked out several reeds in all of the staples now, and I will post my results in case anyone is interested or I can email you my thoughts. Of course, it is always somewhat personal, but I think any information on equipment helps us all a little. I also recently experimented with the Chudnow E staple in silver. It gives a lovely sound, but I found pitch placement in the upper register very difficult-especially high A.





That'll do it! Let me know if you would like any info on the staples, and now back to our regularly scheduled knitting blog! :0)

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an elegant shawl. I love it.

10/9/06 00:05  
Blogger Brigitte said...

It is beautiful! Hope all went well on Sat. night.

It's funny how colours show up, but I know that Driftwood is lovely. Isn't Elizabeth I just a great knit?

BTW, I may be taking you up on your needle offer...

10/9/06 03:11  
Blogger Marina said...

Sharon, that's gorgeous! Bet you were the belle of the ball.

Now think how you would look in Season of Darkness and Winter Light at the Christmas or New Year or ? ball!

10/9/06 03:24  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Birch is beautiful. Take care of those wrists though... wouldn't want to have to slow down on the knitting.

And Elizabeth is looking lovely already.

11/9/06 15:48  
Blogger Knittinreed said...

Beautiful Birch! You will be the stunner at the reception. Good luck with all the solos - I know you will be fantabulous.

As for the staples, I like the silver Pisoni Pro? - the ones that are more thick walled with diagonal scoring. The other Pisonis were trash for me - too circular opening and too thin walled. I find the newer Loree tubes too small, restricting the depth I could get in the tone and resulting in sharp reeds. Although I have some old AKs that are nice.

And I have not tried any of the others. Let me know what you think. I am interested in your opinion.

Lots of people swear by the Stephens #2 although they seemed too bright to me.

Please rest your hands - you will need them this week. Call or email if you want-
Ceci

11/9/06 19:23  
Blogger Marji said...

Birch is lovely. And I think you'll be surprised how quickly Eliz knits up. I wish wish wish we could get color cards from VY. Thanks for the yarn comparison shot.
and take care of the wrists! Concert season is upon us, YES!

12/9/06 07:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely Birch! Looking forward to seeing your progress on Elizabeth I, too. I've had the Hebridean yarn in my stash for that one for a long time...

12/9/06 10:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That shawl is v. pretty! Why no picture of you modeling it?! I've been distracted and haven't worked on SDWL in so long (it seems). I know I'll get back in the mood sometime soon, though! :)

12/9/06 12:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Birch is lovely!

13/9/06 10:08  
Blogger Sharon said...

Birch is beautiful, lace scares me enough let alone fine lace like that, well done.

Oh no another knitter with a sore wrist, mine is playing up again too :(

13/9/06 16:08  
Blogger Marji said...

would you like an invite to join the Tudor Roses KAL?

20/9/06 05:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Join the Tudor Roses KAL!

Birch looks lovely! So does Eliz I.

Reading your oboist info made me wonder if knitting stuff sounds like that to the non knitters. They really have their own languages which is pretty darn cool.

23/9/06 10:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home