Tuesday, August 26, 2008

One challenging week down.....




This last week was an amazing week. I was fortunate enough to be asked to record with the Dallas Wind Symphony on a recording that will be strictly Percy Grainger pieces. Not only was the music challenging but the musicianship in that group is just perfection. Nothing left halfway done or halfway practiced. And Jerry Junkin was also a joy to follow. The recording took place in the Meyerson which is acoustically wonderful. It is also a nightmare as you can hear everything in there. Everything.




While in Dallas I had to take a lunch break on Saturday to go and visit a knitting store that I have been meaning to get to for ages. I wasn't disappointed. It is called Shabby Sheep. There isn't much on her website right now, but the owner tells me it is about to go under construction. The store itself leaves nothing to be desired in sock yarns or a nice warm environment. My friend, Marty, and I felt welcome the moment we walked in the door. I don't always have that feeling in knitting stores these days and I liked it very much. The store is in a renovated frame house in a really cool uptown neighborhood. Bravo! Shabby Sheep. I highly recommend it if you get to Dallas. Please let them know I sent ya. ;0)

I got more on the quilt finished before last week, but have barely had time for it since then.




I also did a couple of quilt blocks for a charity blanket. These were so much fun to make and I can't wait to see what the quilt looks like when finished. It is for a lovely little boy named Aryn..



In another unbelievable turn of events...I finally finished three things on my to-do list. That means darning in ends, adding interfacing, blocking, over stitching steeks, etc. Embarrassing but true. I only finished because I had a deadline to enter them into the fair. heeeheee Yes, really. I just wanted to see, ya know? Now the waiting. I felt like I had abandoned my children when I drove away. It was awful. And you thought I had already darned in those ends, didn't you? heh heh






Now I am finishing Elizabeth I and waiting for some Spindrift from Anne of She Ewe Knits. Luckily it is a longer post than I thought from Canada and I may actually finish the knitting on Elizabeth I before it arrives. I wonder if Anne planned that? huh.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne works in mysterious ways.

So cool on the fair! Crossing fingers for you but you have skill on your side already.

Those quilt blocks are cute, hope that the quilt rakes it in for Aryn. Naturally the Kaffe Fassett quilt looks fab.

Very nice about the Wind Symphony! And Shabby Sheep. Cute name.

26/8/08 12:52  
Blogger sewkalico said...

Wow! Congratulations on the recording! You are clearly one talented lady!! Your pennants asre looking great. Good luck witht the fair!

29/8/08 15:59  
Blogger MaryjoO said...

just finding your blog so I will read on... love the top quilt (I knit and quilt, but have put quilting on the back burner for a while).

I've seen the quilt in patterns but have never seen one made up. Yours is great -- I thought it would look to "spiky" and "aggressive" but yours looks fun. I have a lot of fabric, so it may be a good stash buster!
Maryjo

28/10/08 11:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home