Sunday, March 27, 2011

Spring is for Sewing

It always seems that my desire for certain creative outlets is seasonal. All I can think of in fall is knitting. Anything. I just have to have a billion projects on the needles at all times and places in the fall. Winter brings more knitting and maybe a little quilting......but spring my desire to sew and quilt is full on. This being spring, I recently started another quilt class. This one is a Judy Neimeyer Technique of the Month class at Quilt Country taught by an amazing teacher, Eileen. She had to become Neimeyer teaching certified to teach the class-which means she studied with Judy and learned her tricks of the trade. Sure there are great instructions with the patterns...and if you follow VERY closely, you can probably manage quite well if you have had prior paper piecing experience. With Eileen's help, however, the process becomes a breeze and I have learned many other time and sanity saving tricks. We have 6 classes, one per month in which to complete 6 techniques that make up this quilt. It is called Glacier Star.


Technique 1.





This is the New Your Beauty technique. I have always loved these blocks, and now I feel comfortable in building them with ease.



Technique 2.






Geese in the Pond






I have also been able to complete another Amy Butler Modern Diaper Bag for a friend that is expecting. I saw this fabric online and could not resist it for her. She is a pretty hip kind of girl, so anything less than fashionable was out of the question.





The pattern is written pretty well for the most part, except for the pockets. I have NEVER understood these directions and never will. I had trouble with them last time, too. REALLY unclear. I read many reviews/blogs of people that had made it and their experiences were similar. In the end I just made sure there were bottle pockets on the ends and had to wing the rest to make it fit. Not stellar, but workable. Hope she like it. The baby is due any minute.





Some spinning....this is Crown Mountain Farm superwash merino. Love this stuff. I want to marry it....or maybe just make some socks.....a little less commitment.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Carrie#K said...

I'd marry that yarn. I love the colors. They go so well with your quilt too!

I was thinking of Paula Nadelstern's quilts but those are pretty too. I'm going to a quilt show this weekend. The bug will probably bite me again.

1/4/11 15:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home